Monday, October 22, 2007

Dining with DMD - Monday, Oct 22, 2007

Dining with DMD will be my segment on things I've cooked at home which I feel are worthy of note. They may or may not be related to recipes I've done at school.

Tonight I had planned to prepare BBQ steaks with broccoli and hollandaise sauce for myself and my cousin. I planned this before reading todays kitchen work list, which happened to include... broccoli and hollandaise! So, I got to make this twice today, and I must say that without having to work in a group and being in control of all variables makes for a result which I am much happier with - whether or not the same would happen in class would be a good subject to debate.

Anyway, short and sweet - some pre-marinated steaks from Save-On-Foods (not the greatest cut of meat, hence the marinade, but flavourful and fits well into my poor student budget), along with a stalk of broccoli, the florets cut into bite size pieces and the stalk peeled and turned to make bite size pieces as well. All of this was steamed to readiness and then shocked to stop the cooking process there. A fresh hollandaise without reduction, just a basic egg yolk/clarified butter/lemon juice mixture. Very smooth, fantastic texture and body. The broccoli and steaks were plated, and hollandaise was liberally applied. Tasty!

So, what did you eat tonight?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Keg prime rib, mashed potatos, mushrooms and green beans, Caesar salad, Rye and coke, and some Californian Zinfandel. All in all not a bad dinner, though the mashed had a weird, gluey texture.

DMD said...

Likely cause of the mashed texture would be that the potatoes weren't drained and dried properly before being mashed, or they'd been cold and reheated. I KNOW about this stuff now!

Goofball said...

I don't cook nearly as much anymore...due to having a much better cook in the house.

But today I made fresh zucchini soup with one little green pepper in it just to spice things up.
And I had a lamb tajine with dades and couscous. Mmm it was really nice, if I can brag about myself.